Do you want to watch a video, hear an audio file, or read an interview to learn more about Gorbachev, about Russia, or about the author? Or use this link to find any available recordings of missed events.
- Especially recommended: “Mikhail Gorbachev’s Legacy and Life,” on Late Night Live with Philip Adams on RN, Australian Broadcasting. Web page offers links to listen online or download audio file. 45 minutes, Bill Taubman interview begins around minute 3, after introduction.
Original aired 16 Oct. 2017, 10:20 pm.
- Bill Taubman’s interview on Sean’s Russia Blog Podcast went online on December 6. Hear the interview here. Approx. 54 minutes.
- In early November, Radio New Zealand aired an interview with Bill Taubman discussing Gorbachev and Bill’s interpretation of his life and times. Approx. 38 minutes.
- “The Man Who Changed the World, But Deemed a Failure in His Own Country: The Legacy of Gorbachev,” Bill Taubman interviewed on BizTalk Radio with Jim Campbell, Sunday Oct. 29, 10-11pm. Approx. 39-minute recording.
- The Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies at Harvard University hosts a podcast, “Eurasian Enigma.” On October 26, the series posted a podcast and transcript of Cris Martin’s interview with Bill. Approx. 24 minute recording.
- Amherst College’s monthly online book club features Gorbachev as the October 2017 selection. Several links related to the online discussion can be accessed during the month of October, including a recording of a conversation between Bill Taubman and Samuel Charup (Amherst ‘02). Approx. 43 minutes.
- The Leonard Lopate Show on WNYC featured an interview with Bill Taubman, “How Gorbachev became the last leader of the Soviet Union, on Sept. 29, 2017. Listen to the podcast here.
- The New York Times Book Review offers a fascinating interview podcast with Bill Taubman about the background to the book and his impressions of Mikhail Gorbachev (approx. 18 minutes at beginning of podcast).
- Watch a conference panel at the University of Virginia’s Miller Center for Public Affairs (“US Presidents Confront the Russians: A Century of Challenge, 1917-2017”). On November 9, Bill Taubman spoke on the panel, “End of the Cold War: An Elusive Victory,” which concerned Gorbachev’s relations with Reagan and George H.W. Bush. Bill hailed the Gorbachev-Reagan relationship as “an almost perfect partnership,” but criticized the Bush administration for being slow to recognize that Gorbachev was the first Soviet leader to view the United States as a potential partner. Two ranking members of that administration responded. (approx. 2 hrs. 25 min.)
- Watch a short video clip of Bill Taubman talking about Gorbachev’s role in history.
- See and hear Bill Taubman’s lecture at Wellesley College in winter 2017, “Why Did the Soviet Union Collapse?” (approx. 84 minutes).
- “New Gorbachev biography profiles reformer who helped end Cold War but has no place in today’s Russia,” William Taubman interview by Jennifer Clibbon of CBC News, posted 15 Oct. 2017.
- “Mikhail Gorbachev Reimagined as an anti-Trump,” William Taubman interview by Australian Financial Review (available only by subscription to AFR, but one-month free trial is offered on home page).